Friday, May 12, 2006

The War on the Internet

I have heard many members of Sukyo Mahikari claim that the internet is an unreliable source of information about their organization. Many say that the reason Sukyo Mahikari has gotten a bad reputation is because of Okada's original organization SBMK. The "War on the Internet" is the war between Sukyo Mahikari and Internet-users/former members who write their experiences and opinions about the sect and post them on the Internet. Though Sukyo Mahikari strives to remain silent about these issues, behind the dojo walls they are "arming" Kumite with the "correct" information to ensure that they do not read what we have to say. Many members are told that these individuals are spiritually disturbed or that they have an 'axe to grind' due to past grivances with the organization. I have a few things to say on belhaf of myself and these people:

These people who are writing what they know, quoting SM material, and webbing it are using the huge accessibility of the world-wide web to get information out to people to warn them of the insanity and danger of this cult. They are doing it for the public good. The hope is that if they can get this information out to the public and make it broadly known then people will be forewarned and will not join the cult. If they can starve the cult of new members in this way then the whole organization may collapse and then the existing members can be helped to return to society. But of course the people within the cult believe only their own founders interpretation of things so they use every means they can to stop this. Usually the method they use is harassment or threats of expensive lengthy legal process.

The people who post and host information about Sukyo Mahikari are risking themselves to help warn the public about the dangers of Sukyo Mahikari. They have a strong sense of public duty and care for their fellow men. Australian former members are being especially courageous because Mahikari has gone so far as to threaten newspapers who have said undesirable things about the sect, as you can sue for just about anything nowadays it is best for them to remain cautious. However, the accusations that they have an 'axe to grind' is completely without merritt, they are acting out of conscience and out of high human ideals. Some have gotten broken down by legal or physical harassment from friends and family members, but more rise to take their place.

I myself was threatened with legal action from Sukyo Mahikari (though I am not sure if it was from a lawyer representing the sect or a member who practices as a lawyer), being told I had better be able to back up my accusations with evidence; because I have the proper evidence my blog was re-put up, but only after thorough re-reading to ensure that everything I said was either factual or had a disclaimer insinuating that it was my own speculation.

I hope this short piece of mine is a befitting and deserving introduction to these people, the "Warriors of the Internet".

7 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Good post. For all of you members lurking out there, I will tell you simply I am not at war. I can only tell the truth about my experience. I was lied to from the beginning, and that is a fact. And despite the fascist crackdowns here, we still have freedom of speech. You cannot dispute plain facts.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

What war?

As I see it, there is no war and no harrassment. There's not even any 'war of words' or debate! I think SM just tries to ignore us and hope we'll go away.

I'm sure I've said this before...I think SM is full of fine altruistic people who sincerely believe the teachings of SM. I am not at war with them...just trying to expose the logical fallacies, deceptions, and potential for manipulation that I see in the teachings.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

There could be a perception that a spiritual war is being waged on the internet. Such a perception I would think, would have it's origin within SM itself - the righteous gods against the unrighteous gods, the internet is manipulated by evil spirits etc.

Maybe SM members could kneel in front of their computer and raise the hand and 'purify' the internet, kumbu could give the computer a spirit investigation and find out what spirits are attached........... maybe a virtual fox spirit will manifest.

Hey............this could be a whole new growth area for SM..........solving internet spirit disturbance!. Virtual true light, internet okiome, technical tekazashi

Gee.......could be onto something here!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

It's very interesting that no onw from the organization bothers to reply to these posts. Given the obvious PR "clean-up" campaign of the SM North American site, and Tebecis's "revisions", you can tell they are monitoring the net. So where are they???

7:06 AM  
Blogger Asher Kennedy said...

I would like to believe they are shocked into silence as they cannot dispute most of what we say...alas, I am sure it is merely that the organization discourages them from giving us more fuel to throw on the fire by responding.

I guarentee most of them consult with Kanbu prior to making decisions as mundane as writing a comment on a anti-Mahikari site, so they probably got the 'no go' from Kanbu.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First you say they are silent, then you say they are at war????

I am a free thinker, reading materials on the net. I will give you a piece of advice, read what you write befor you post it on the web, because it seems like you just want to write something whether it sounds stupid or not..

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne, no one hopes you will go away.. There is plenty place in the world for everone, so don't go away. Keep going on your journey in life.

And I hope you all are not waiting for response. Not everyone likes to indulge in talking and disputing. For me a hindu, we pray to the sun, as a symbol of light, every morning. There is no need for so much talk. If you are silent, you can hear God and the universe speak. But your soul and mind must be silent, open and peaceful. Try meditation. I strongly recommend, and have a clear, free mind...

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home